Table of Contents
Digital Twins of an Organization (DTOs) have garnered increasing attention among IT leaders across the world. Originally adopted from its ancestor, the Digital Twin, DTOs provide promising benefits for the management and steering of organizations, including the identification of bottlenecks, reduction of productions costs, improved quality of outcomes, and a suitable vehicle for breaking up silos and driving the transformation of a firm. In this article, we will introduce you to the cockpit of such a vehicle and provide guidance on how to realize your DTO.
What is a Digital Twin?
What is a Digital Twin of an Organization?
DTO as a Vehicle Towards Success
The Building Blocks of a DTO
Information about your desired destination and when you would like to arrive there.
A guide showing how to reach that destination – your organization’s GPS will only be as good as its map database.
An Indication of how far along you are on your journey.
Situational Awareness (i.e., organizational awareness of roadblocks and challenges on the road ahead).
Accurate Information on your organization’s progress and situation to enable informed decision making.
The Path to DTO
1. Start with what you have
2. Set the data free
3. Move the digitization frontier
4. Seek new digital opportunities
5. Increment the models
In the following section, we will summarize the core insights:
1. Start with what you have describes that when building a DTO, you should review the available data and data sources of the area that you want to start with. Existing templates and consultancies can be used to review existing data and sources and integrate them in a common model. Note that this “[…] does not result in a complete representation of the organization […]” (Parmar et al. 2020). The urge to create a complete representation right from the start should be resisted, as a DTO “[…] cannot be fully crafted but will emerge gradually […]” (ibd.).
2. Set the data free regards the fact that most data is locked in organizational silos. This data must be extracted, integrated within a DTO, and then made available to stakeholders to unleash its potential and draw interest to integrate further data.
3. Move the digitization frontier means that all potentially valuable data is not necessarily digitized right off the bat and aims at “[…] assets and processes within the organization that are either only partially digitized or not digitized at all… […]” (Parmar et al. 2020). This might entail local legacy, for instance.
4. Seek new digital opportunities rests on the foundation that has been created up to this point. The integrated data within the DTO opens the door for new opportunities, as it becomes increasingly reasonable to integrate further areas and realize new use cases with the existing data.
5. Increment the models describes two key activities to further broaden the scope of a DTO. First, the DTO must be maintained,and, second, as the organization grows and evolves, the DTO’s scope must be actively extended to match reality.
Digital Twin of Your Organization with Bee360
Bee360 provides you with all of the required building blocks of a DTO. Moreover, Bee360 puts a holistic perspective on an organization’s operating model at its heart. It combines strategic management, enterprise architecture management, financial management, project and portfolio management, human resource management, supplier management, and demand and agile product management. This combination provides your organization with everything required for defining destination, map, performance, situation, and value (see Gartner 2021, above).
The path to DTO should begin small and start with what you have (see Parmar et al. 2021). Bee360’s modular approach makes it easy to focus on a certain management area and continue from there. Furthermore, a template can boost your journey towards a DTO. The Bee360 standard provides a template for DTOs and facilitates extracting and integrating data from your organization to set the data free.
Starting from an initially established management area, we often move the digitization frontier as desired by our customers and as required by their organization. With our customers, we follow the approach of second best of breed but best of integration to continuously seek new digital opportunities that we can share across the community. We forge long-lasting partner-like relationships to increment the models on both levels (i.e., individual customer DTOs and our Bee360 standard). If you are interested, we are always happy to discuss your individual journey to DTO, as well as where and how to start. You don’t need to reinvent the wheel.
1: see i.a. Hillel (1991): “Mirror Worlds: or the Day Software Puts the Universe in a Shoebox.”
2: Computer Aided Design
3: Internet of Things
4: see Gartner (2021): “Market Guide for Technologies Supporting a Digital Twin of an Organization.”
5: Enterprise Architecture Management
6: see Parmer et al. (2020): “Building an Organization Digital Twin.”
WeBeenar: Achieve Holistic IT Management With a Digital Twin of Your Organization